Common Kingfisher / Eurasian Kingfisher / River Kingfisher

Share your photos for others opinion

Common Kingfisher / Eurasian Kingfisher / River Kingfisher

Postby shovon666 » 03 Sep 2013, 11:47

Common Kingfisher / Eurasian Kingfisher / River Kingfisher / পাতি মাছরাঙা (Alcedo atthis)

Common Kingfishers are important members of ecosystems and good indicators of freshwater community health. The highest densities of breeding birds are found in habitats with clear water, which permits optimal prey visibility, and trees or shrubs on the banks. These habitats have also the highest quality of water, so the presence of this bird confirms the standard of the water.

This sparrow-sized bird has the typical short-tailed, large-headed kingfisher profile; it has blue upperparts, orange underparts and a long bill. It feeds mainly on fish, caught by diving, and has special visual adaptions to enable it to see prey under water. The glossy white eggs are laid in a nest at the end of a burrow in a riverbank.

The food is mainly fish up to 12.5 cm (4.9 in) long, but the average size is 2.3 cm (0.91 in). Minnows, sticklebacks, small roach and trout are typical prey. About 60% of food items are fish, but this kingfisher also catches aquatic insects such as dragonfly larvae and water beetles, and, in winter, crustaceans including freshwater shrimps.

Common Kingfisher / Eurasian Kingfisher / River Kingfisher / পাতি মাছরাঙা (Alcedo atthis) by shovon666

"I just couldn't resist shooting nature. Every moment is unique there."

My photos:
http://www.facebook.com/shovonclicks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shovon666/
shovon666
Registered Birder

Re: Common Kingfisher / Eurasian Kingfisher / River Kingfish

Postby Shabu » 03 Sep 2013, 18:25

Awesome shots Shovon (Y)
পাখির ছবি তোলাটা জরুরী নয়, পাখিদের বেঁচে থাকাটা জরুরী।
My Flickr
Shabu